Ugh, the battle of the bulge! That’s what most moms think about when it’s time to work out. It seems like a never-ending battle. One moment you’re doing great; hitting the gym 5 times a week, Pintresting the hell out of meal prep ideas, and staying on top of your protein and water intake. Then, you decide to treat yourself. You know, to those Girl Scout cookies you bought to “support” your neighbor’s daughter? Or, you forget to prepare dinner and haul ass to get to the closest take-out as a last resort. Finally, you give up and tell yourself that you just don’t have the time. Between caring for kids, workplace demands, household chores, and doctors appointments; finding time to workout may seem impossible.
But, if you make it a priority, working out while momming can be quite simple. I’ve made a routine of jogging my son to school in the mornings while he trails me on his bike. But, for some moms, this just isn’t an option. So I asked one of my favorite fit moms to share her best tips for making fitness a reality.
Nic B. is an energetic and inspirational LA based personal trainer and founder of I Can You Can We Can Fitness™ which motivates and supports individuals as they elevate their fitness routines and exceed their personal expectations. Nic is a proud mother and is often seen working out with her ten- year- old son Kori. She has a large following with over 280k followers on Instagram and a diverse array of clientele. Here are the 5 tips she shared with Oh, Brenda!
1. You can NEVER be too busy for something that you want to do. Having the right mindset before starting anything is very important.
2. Start your workouts before work or before you take your children to school. You don’t need any special equipment or a gym membership to workout. A chair for dips, a resistance band for bicep and tricep curls, and push ups etc. You’d be surprised how much your body can do without all of the fancy gym equipment. Set your alarm early. I usually start my day at 4am. I train myself first and then my clients at 5am. You can do a short 30 minute workout at home in your living room. I’ve provided you with an effective yet simple workout below.
3. Take your Children with you! Find a park where they can play while you exercise. Strap your small baby to into a carrier and do squats, lunges, or walk up and down stairs.
4. Work out With Your Kids! Children love to be active too. My son enjoys working out with me. Create fun challenging workouts. Challenge your child with a game of jumping jacks; who can run the fastest; jump the Highest; and squat the longest.
5. Have Fun! Always have fun with what you’re doing and know that every little bit counts for something. Stay active to stay attractive is my motto. MAKE TIME FOR YOU. Push yourself. Always make your well being a priority. Healthy lifestyles are a must.
Here is a simple, yet effective workout you can do at home.
1 Min Jumping jacks (2X)
20 Basic Crunch (1X)
10 Squat Jumps (2X)
10 Push Up
10 Alternating Lunges (1X)
1 Min Jog In Place
For more tips and workouts follow Nic B. on Instagram @getfitwithnic_ or visit her website http://www.getfitwithnicb.com.